Course description: Installation Rules course SANS 10142
The electrical Installation Rules course SANS 10142 prepares learners for the National Exam, Paper 1 & 2, on the Electrical Installation Regulations. This is also known as the Code of Practice for Low voltage Installations, at the FET College.
We cover all legal aspects (OSHAct). Applicable Rules and Regulations (SANS10142-1) are covered. We cover the previous Installation Rules exam papers. All relevant codes are also covered. Residential, Commercial and Industrial Installations are covered in the Installation Rules SANS 10142 course.
The following topics are covered by the Installation Rules course SANS 10142:
- The Occupational Health and Safety Act (OSHACT, Act 85 of 1993)
- Electrical Installation Regulations (2009)
- Electrical Machinery Regulations (2011)
Topics covered from SANS 10142-1 (Wiring of Premises-Low voltage Installations):
- Scope of the code
- Terminology used in the code
- Compliance of electrical equipment
- Fundamental Requirements
- General circuit arrangements
- Current carrying capacity of conductors and cables
- Installation of conductors and cables
- Distribution boards
- Earthing and bonding of electrical installations
- Lighting circuits
- Socket Outlet circuits
- Fixed appliance circuits
- Bathroom Installations
- Swimming pool and sauna installations
- Construction and Demolition site Installations
- Agricultural, caravan park and marina installations
- Medical Installations
- Temporary and extra-low voltage Installations
- Stage and Theatre Equipment
- Safety and Emergency Lighting
- Alternative supply (Generators, Solar, UPS etc) Installations
- Visual Inspection and Electrical testing of Electrical
- Other relevant SANS Codes
Candidates will learn to:
- Use SANS 10142-1 as an installation guide.
- Determine earth continuity conductor size.
- Use tables to determine current carrying capacity of cables.
- Calculate voltage drop of circuits.
- Determine minimum cable size to be used for a circuit.
- Determine maximum number of conductors in a conduit.
- Determine the Loop Impedance and Prospective short circuit current at the point of installation.
The learner will be provided with:
- All course material (SANS 10142-1 book).
- Reference material (CD).
- Old exam papers and memorandums.
- EXCEL calculator sheets.
- Exam enrollment is done by Renkalec Training Centre at an additional fee of R600, alternatively the learner may enroll at his/her local FET college.
There are two options available to the learner. The Installation Rules course can either be done as:
(1) a full-time course, or
(2) a part-time course.
The times below are applicable.
2 Weeks, Monday to Thursday (9:00 – 15:00)
Part Time (Evening Classes):
6 Weeks, Mondays and Wednesdays (18:00 – 21:00)