Our Electrical Trade Test Preparation course prepares the learner for the National Trade Test Examination at Department of Higher Education and Training (previously Department of Labour), INDLELA (Olifantsfontein). This qualification is also known as a “Red Seal” qualification.
Apart from being the preparation course for the official Trade Test Qualification this course will enrich the knowledge and skill base of the learner with respect to residential, commercial and industrial electrical installations.
This course is distinguished from other courses as it has a theoretical and practical component. This means that the learner will receive a lecture conducted by an expert facilitator after which the learning experience is enhanced by a practical session where the learner has the opportunity to practice wiring the circuits that was covered during the theoretical lecture.
A facilitator is always at hand to continuously address any questions and to assist the learner where necessary.
The following topics are covered by the course:
- Conduit installation and wiring of domestic distribution board and circuits (lighting, socket outlets etc)
- Wiring of motor starters (Single-phase forward/reverse, Three-phase forward/reverse, Star/delta and Sequence starting).
- Faultfinding on motor starters ((Single-phase forward/reverse, Three-phase forward/reverse, Star/delta and Sequence starting).
- Wiring of energy and load balancing panels.
- Wiring of current- and voltage transformer panel.
- Tracing and locating of faults on various star/delta motor starters (various manufacturers).
- Tracing and locating of faults on various auto-transformer starters.
- Tracing and locating of faults on various resistance starters.
- Visual inspection and electrical testing of single- and three-phase motors.
The learner will be provided with:
- A well designed learner guide that contains the instructions as used by the trade test centre (INDLELA), explanations of the underlying principles and a mark sheet as used by the trade test centre (INDLELA).
- Equipment and material, at our training centre, required to perform all the tasks during the course.
- An in-house assessment to determine the readiness of the learner.
- After completion of the course the learner will receive a certificate of completion as well as a training report showing what was covered during the course.
- A free revision period prior to the external examination.
There are two options available to the learner. The course can either be done as a full-time course or a part-time course. The times below are applicable.
4 weeks, Monday to Thursday (9:00 – 15:00)
6 Weekends, Saturday (9:00 – 14:00) and Sunday (9:00 – 13:00)
R8 000 per candidate